I am an attorney, mediator, and labor arbitrator with 10 years of legal experience in international, criminal, public, private, and administrative (substantive, procedural and comparative) law. My legal work includes hands-on experience in legislative drafting and complex litigation with a scope of work encompassing child protection, human rights, compliance, and war crimes. I also have more than 20 years of practical experience in organizational management.
I have a Juris Doctor from Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, a master’s degree in international economic policy and finance from Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs, and a bachelor's degree in economics with a minor in computer architecture from Hunter College at the City University of New York. I am a native English speaker, trained in Mandarin Chinese, with reading facility in French, Spanish, and Swedish. I studied at the Chinese University of Hong Kong and Dalian University of Foreign Languages.
I am certified through the International Training Centre of the International Labor Organization to facilitate participatory gender audits. I am also a certified workplace coach through Oxford-Brookes Institute of Leadership and Management. I have experience in strategic policy advisement, multiple stakeholder management, gender and inclusion advocacy, and human resources management.
At the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague, Netherlands, I served in several capacities including as an associate legal officer, gender specialist, and court administrator. At the Michigan Supreme Court, I worked closely with state and sovereign tribal representatives, judges, and policymakers on legislative drafting, re-codification of court rules, rulemaking, and technical advisement to facilitate implementation of a federal statute into state law and administrative policy that expanded protection to Native American children and their sovereign tribes.
I am an educator, public speaker, adviser, and entrepreneur. I currently hold the position of President of the American Women’s Club in Stockholm, Sweden.
• 10 Things I Learned as a Gender and Diversity Specialist, LinkedIn
• US Lawyers Abroad Committee Greece Project, American Bar Association, Section of International Law, The Year in Review, 50 ABA/SIL YIR (n.s.) (2015).
• Policy Developments in Attestation and Verification of Signatures in Cross-Border Practice, American Bar Association, Section of International Law, The Year in Review, 49 ABA/SIL YIR (n.s.) 101 (2014).
• Prosecutor v. Mićo Stanišić & Stojan Župljanin, Case No. IT-08-91, Judgement (Evidentiary Matters), (27 March 2013).
• State Tribal-Court Relations Subcommittee, Michigan Supreme Court, Michigan Indian Family Preservation Act (Official Draft 2010).
• Indian Child Welfare Special Committee, Michigan Supreme Court, Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978: A Court Resource Guide (2010).
• Michigan Substance Abuse/Child Welfare State Team, Michigan Supreme Court, Michigan Substance Abuse/Child Welfare Protocol for Screening and Assessment for Family Engagement, Retention and Recovery (2009).
2019 - Select Women of the Civil Rights Era in the United States – American Women’s Club in Stockholm (Keynote speaker)
2018 - Truths We Need to Tell: Walking the Path of Meaningful Inclusion – Stockholm International, Nobel Museum, (Keynote speaker)
2015 - 2017 - UN Policy on the Prohibition of Discrimination, Harassment including Sexual Harassment and Abuse of Power/Safety and Security and Security Briefings (Office of the Focal Point for Women, United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, The Hague) (Trainer/Presenter)
2014 - Performance Evaluation at the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, Conference of Staff Associations of International Organizations, (Speaker)
Mediation at the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, Conference of Staff Associations of International Organizations (Speaker)
2019 – American Women’s Club in Stockholm, Season Launch (Moderator);
2009 – Michigan Supreme Court/National Association of Women Judges, Focus on Women in Law (Moderator)
2019-2021 – American Women’s Club in Stockholm, President; 2012-2014 – American Bar Association, Section of International Law, US Lawyers Abroad Committee, Chair
2012-2014 – American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Women’s Interest Network, Chair